March 14, 2012

Life Right Now

So, for the next two weeks I'm doing clinicals in a second grade classroom. This means that I'm there all day, observing, helping out, and next week I'll be doing some teaching. I love it. My kids are seriously the funniest kids I've ever hung out with. But it's emotionally, physically, and mentally draining.

There are kids who I can tell don't have good home life, kids who love to start drama, and kids who keep to themselves and probably get looked over pretty often. The school is awesome and I can tell they do everything they can for their students, but as in every school, there are problems no matter what. I try my hardest to be there for all of the students, but there's only so much I can do. I've only known these kiddos for 3 days and I'm already thinking about them all the time and telling stories to anyone who will listen! I don't know what I'll do next week when I'm done!

But I'll say it again, I LOVE it. I love walking into the room and having the kids eyes light up. I love helping a student with work and seeing the "ah ha!" moment when they finally understand that 500-100 is almost the same as 5-1.

This experience is only making me more sure that I want to be a teacher. I honestly can't wait to have my own classroom and my own students. But for now I'll have to share. :)

For the past week, all I've cared about is:
  • Drinking Keurig coffee and hot chocolate. My mom got me a Keurig for my birthday! My birthday isn't until May, but I convinced her to give it to me early haha! I have coffee every morning (which has been a life saver since I wake up so early. I never realized how much I love caffeine!) and hot chocolate every night (which I should probably stop doing since I'm trying to lose weight. But it's a nice treat after a long day).
  • Playing Draw Something. It's seriously the most fun game ever. I think I love it so much because you win every time! I'm not very good at games, so I get bored when I lose all the time. But this one is just too fun! It's basically pictionary in iphone form (or if your lame like me, you play on your ipod touch). Let's play together! My username is melissapitz24 :)
  • Going to sleep as early as possible. I'm not kidding. I'm talking in bed at 9:30, asleep by 10 if possible.
It's been a long 3 days, but I'm so thankful for this experience! What have you been up to?

2 comments:

Kara Renee said...

Lol those last three points describe my life like crazy. But just regular coffee. I'm trying to convince Jonathon into getting me a Keurig for my birthday though. Not really working out!

Leah said...

It sounds like you're getting some great experience, that's so neat!!